Thursday, August 4, 2011

Artifacts Within Rocks

Lately, I've been going to the beach more often, probably because it's summer. I'm on an island right now so not many people go to the same beach as me.

Anyway, sometimes when I go snorkeling, and there are many broken pieces of pottery and such ceramic things. These aren't old though, maybe within the decade, so they aren't of much value and they aren't that interesting to see either. However, there are many many large rocks about 50 feet in and each rock has something interesting. One rock may have a sea cucumber on, while the other is a house for a family of sea urchins. Sometimes, I pick up and move the larger rocks which are about 60 pounds each and roughly 3 feet by 4 feet. Usually, there isn't really anything underneath except some sea shells, and maybe some small crabs. This is where it gets interesting. The other day I was going on about swimming and flipping rocks when a strange shaped rock appeared. It seemed like it was a normal rock, but there was something exposed out of it- something, also a rock, but like the shape of a bagel and the size of 3. 
Picture after I broke it

I looked at it for a while and realized I wanted to break it- nay, I had to break it- so I can see why it is shaped like that and what is inside.Unfortunately I didn't take the pictures before I broke, it because I did not expect I would find anything. I kept chipping it of so the rock get smaller and smaller, and then suddenly, I heard a thump. When I was breaking it the noise was what you would expect from smashing two rocks together, however the thump I heard was like a clink; almost metallic in nature. I started seeing the object that was concealed within it. I was right. It was metal.

Object inside rock


The moment I completely unraveled it from it's rock compartment, I realized it sort of looked like a necklace. 
Even though what I found was bendy (I accidentally bent it a bit) I didn't dare bend it too much because I know it was very old. When I took it home, after taking a lot of pictures, I tested it out on my magnet. It was very magnetic- that confirms it is metal. I also know that it is mostly made of iron, due to it's magnetism. Another factor that validated that it was not any other type of metal was that when I brought it home, after a few days it rusted. A lot



It happened again.





Today I was to a different beach, one mile north of the beach were I found my necklace artifact. As usual, I was snorkeling and minding my own business when all of a sudden I saw a rock that looked like it had the same composition of the other rock that enclosed the necklace thing. Instinctively I dived down to grab it and all of a sudden I realized it did have the same composition as the 'artifact rock'.




So I took it to shore and this time I did not brake it- yet. I took it home so i can examine it closer and take pictures. And pictures did I take. 28 pictures of a 1 foot long cylinder rock. I first just cracked it with a hammer, just so I can see what was inside. Sure enough, it opened a bit and I saw that it was very close looking to the other rock I found. 


There was just one thing different. 


This wasn't metal. No, this wasn't metal, glass, wood, ceramic, shell, or rock. This was rope. Ancient rope.




No comments:

Post a Comment